Saturday, February 08, 2003
Thursday, February 06, 2003
Best Ruairi news yet
He's coming home!
After settling in to the strange cycle of the last couple of weeks, we're thrilled and relieved to know that Ruairi is now definitely well enough to be almost ready to come home. If everything goes as planned, he should get his last dose of the antibiotics tomorrow night around 8:00 and will be ready to come home about an hour after that.
He’s visibly, obviously better in so many ways. Active, comfortable, alert, smiley and eating like his Dad – weighed in at 11lb 1oz earlier today.
Life since last Tuesday has been extraordinarily strained and tiring; for him most of all, but also for all of the family. It really looks like we’ll be back to some semblance of normality by the weekend.
I don’t know how we would have coped without the loving support of so many friends – online and r/t. The messages of encouragement, the many meals cooked for us, the countless favours and offers of assistance – Sausage and I are just floored by it all. The typical daily schedule for this last week has been something like this:
– Up early with Charlie & Lily for breakfast.
– Lily either off to playschool or dropped with friends for a ‘play date’; Charlie either to the same or a different friend’s house (spreading the load).
– Me in to the hospital, bearing coffee and breakfast for Leona, to snatch some brief moments with our little man and give Sausage a chance to shower and relax for a while.
– Off to the office for a few hours of maintenance activity, trying to keep things rolling as well as possible.
– Back to hospital by around 2:30 to relieve Sausage for the afternoon shift. She – to school to collect Charlie (SK, so he’s only there in the afternoon), gathering in Lily from whichever friend’s house en route.
– Then (after their piano lessons or ballet or whatever) back to the hospital, complete with donated food from one of our wonderful friends for a family dinner in Ruairi’s drab, grey little room.
– C, L & I back home by 8:30; Leona settling down with Ruairi for a night on the thin hospital cot.
– C & L to bed; me back online – phone calls, email, writing, catching up on work till late at night.
– Repeat with small variations until no longer remotely funny.
The daft thing is – through all this enervating, weird time, I’ve still managed to keep the new baby sleep deprivation thing going at peak. Yet I’m the one who has been retiring to the big comfy bed every night, while poor Sausage worked the night shift in the hospital. No babies crying - no 3 o'clock feed to get up for, but do you think I could sleep? I've seen 04:00 tick past on the radio alarm just about every night in the last 2 weeks.
Tonight, I think, I’ll finally be able to get some balm for this hurt mind. Our little boy comes home tomorrow. Looks set to be a memorable weekend.
Tuesday, February 04, 2003
Sunday, February 02, 2003
Basically still OK. Nothing new of substance to report.
10lb 15oz. Happier, healthier, more awake, more appetite, more activity.
Good day all round - basking in the bloglove and gradually getting better.
Goodnight, sweet prince.