::: blogsprogs







blogging our children into being

motor functions

archive


The Dads

gary
tom
michael


extended blogfamily

akma & margaret
shelley
jeneane


what is it?

BlogSprogs is homeplace of The Crucial Three: the babies Turner, Matrullo and O'Connor Clarke.


This page is powered by Blogger. Listed on BlogShares

Thursday, January 30, 2003


Latest

We got the results of more tests today. They've found an e. coli infection in his urine - so this is almost certainly what the culture they've grown from his blood is too.

There's a strange relief in knowing they know what it is. I mean - it's still not great, but it's oddly reassuring and re-stabilizing to put a name to the thing. Now we can name it we can research it, understand it, deal with it.

I got home from the hospital a couple of hours ago. Got to spend almost the whole day with Ruairi and I was able to mark his gradual improvement every hour of the day. I finished the book and newspaper I'd brought fairly early in the day, so spent the afternoon 'reading' my son - watching his face change colour, the clouds lift from his eyes, his mood shift and brighten.

When I left him and Leona for the night, he was probably the most alert and happy he has ever been. Makes me think he's had this thing brewing in his system for the whole short six weeks of his little life.

So it looks like we caught it in time. I don't want to think about what might have happened if we'd not listened to our wonderful family doctor. From what I've read so far, another 24 hours without treatment and he could have been much, much worse.

He has to stay in for another week or so, but he's definitely on the mend. The powerful antibiotics are working miracles. Still more tests, more drugs, more monitoring - but we're going to make it.

Thanks to everyone for the messages, thoughts and prayers.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling with a rather more mundane issue over here, if any of you have some time to help out a little...

Thanks.

michaelo blogged something into being 6:48 PM :: :: link